Monday 27 August 2012

My wonderful manor !


I am finally here at Harlaxton, and the arrival was something I will never forget; before I even start blogging on what a life changing experience this is, I first have to thank my parents for making this possible! It takes a lot to be able to send your daughter to a different country, not only the money, but I do understand that it is hard to let your child leave for four months to an unknown area, and for that I am very thankful!

Since that day I had been accepted to study at Harlaxton I had been counting down the days until I leave, and last week, it was finally here. The week before my departure was spent working (which I did not want to do, but had to!), eating as much American food as possible, ignoring all my packing (of course I left so much at home!), and spending time with the ones I would miss the most! I even got to go to EIU for move in weekend and see all my best friends one last time!


Wednesday night crept up on me and like a little kid on Christmas Eve, I was unable to sleep, knowing that the next day would bring wonderful surprises! After a blink of the eye it was Thursday morning and I was off to do last minutes things to do with my dad before my flight, which left at six pm. After all the last minutes things were done it was time to eat my last American meal for the next four months…. I HAD to pick Grassinos! Then it was time to say my goodbyes and before I knew it, I was on my way to O’Hare Airport, where my friend Courtney was already waiting for me. Although I had never met Courtney before, we had been talking on facebook for months and even planned our trips together. After what felt like 50 hours (actually around 40 minutes) I was at the airport, parked, and was carrying my luggage on my way to a life-changing event.

My bags were all checked in, and I meet three girls in line for security. We said goodbye to our parents, and just like that we were on the other side, sitting together, laughing and sharing stories as if we had been friends for years. Not even a few hours later and we boarded the plane. After an eight-hour flight, filled with little sleep, crying babies, and horrible food, we were finally landing! The people of Harlaxton were waiting with signs and started getting us to our coaches and off we were! This time however, it was a two and a half hour ride to OUR manor.

We didn’t take buses, or even jump on the expressway; we got on our coach and took the motorway to our new home. Everyone on the coach was weary-eyed, and most of us did sleep (I of course did). We all woke up about a half hour before we were home, to talk and watch a movie on the coach. As we pulled up to the Harlaxton Manor everyone got quite, I think we all were in shock that we were going to be living in this beautiful manor, that this giant castle had become OUR home.

It was Friday and we were all extremely tired, mostly slaphappy. We jumped off the coach and were warmly welcomed by the principal and his wife. I was carrying my pillow pet and he stopped to almost pet it, everyone out here is just so sweet. We all walked into the Great Hall, star stroke that this was ours! We got our packets and found out where we would be staying. You either lived in the Manor or in the Carriage House (which is about two minutes away). I was assigned the Manor, and was so happy! Although the Carriage House is more of the “party house” because it’s not as close to the principal, I did not care. How could I? I WAS LIVING IN A MANOR! I helped my friend Kelsie bring her bags up to her room and headed to my room.

My room is everything I could ask for. It has a great view and I love on the fourth floor. The lift is slow, and scares me slightly, so my legs will be nice and strong after walking up and down so much! I couldn’t ask for a better roommate. She is 24 and in her senior year of nursing. She’s a sweetheart and we get along so well. After unpacking Kelsie and I walked around to see what our beautiful new home looked like! Luckily my friend Courtney lives on the fifth floor, which works out so well!

The rest of Friday night was spent eating dinner in the Refectory and going to British Studies Orientation, which is a six-credit class that everyone must take. I hear it’s hard, but I’m up for the challenge and I can’t wait to learn about this cultural so I can become a global citizen. We were told that we could not start our time here with a party, because we are here to work hard, of course after all of the busy work we all went down to the Bistro, which is our own little pub in our basement. We had a few drinks and called it a night, because the next day would be filled with adventure and none of us wanted to be cranky and hungover for it.

Already a day into Harlaxton and we are all hit by culture shock. The meals are served at certain times, if you do not make it in time, you do not eat. This is not something I am used to, but I’m learning that every meal is important and although I hate most of the food, I do try and eat it all. Breakfast was from 7:30-9:00 and straight from that we went into four more hours of orientation. Lunch was after that and finally we were free for the most part! I went to the bureasu de change and changed my dollars into pounds, yes, their money is prettier, but I’m not a fan of how much money we lose. My $260 soon became 147 pounds. On the bright side, there is no sale tax here!

The Manor is a wonderful place, but it was time to go into town! A shuttle ran from 1-5, Kelsie and I of course went into town. We got some little things that I’m used to my mother buying for me and topped off the good trip with the best ice cream I have ever had!! Once we got back to the manor it was time to get ready, because that night was the Principal Reception and High Table Dinner.


Seven o’clock came and we all walked into the great hall, dressed “smart” of course. We had a cocktail hour were we all talked and saw each other looking beautiful. As we walked into the Great Hall we all shock the Principal’s hand. I love our Principal; he is the sweetest man ever. It was a great time and the dinner hadn’t even started yet! While drinking wine and wondering around I ran into this sweet little lady whose name I cannot remember for the life of me! I stopped to introduce myself to her because I had not properly met her, and she helped me find my way around the manor a few times prior to this. She told me how sweet I was and told me how brave I was. Most students who attend Harlaxton are from UE, 53% to be exact! I believe there are five students from EIU who are attending Harlaxton. She went on and on and about how great it was to go to a school not knowing anyone and how great the next four months will be for me, she really made me feel at home.







The principal dinner was a lot different from the last time I ate with my principal. I’m pretty sure I was in grade school and we ate pizza. This time I was dressed up, drinking wine, and followed a bag piper in. Our bag piper in the best, honestly, you can tell he takes pride in playing. He’s in the top five of the Scottish bag pipers and I’m so honored to have him playing for us! It is truly beautiful and I love every time he plays for us. Dinner was served and we had salad, chicken, potatoes, and carrots. For those of you who do not know how I eat, well you could say I am very picky! I ate it all, but not the green beans, but come on! I had already tried so many new things; I thought that was good enough!! The food was wonderful and we met our teachers and their families.

Before dinner we said the Harlaxton Grace:

Let us pray
(Principal)
Benedictus benedicat.
May we who are blessed in turn be a blessing.

(The College)
Bless us, O Lord, and all Memebers of this College, and also thy gifts,
Which of they bounty we are about to receive; and having been
Wholesomely nourished by this food and these friends, let us offer to thee
Our thanks and our service.
We thank thee for travelling mercies.
Bless thou those we love, across oceans and miles.
Grant thy grace upon us here and hereafter, in thy holy name we pray,
Amen.

After dinner:

(Principal)
Let us pray.
(The College)
Because tho hast plentifully resorted our bodies, O Go, with food and drink, and for thy kindness, we give thee the most hearty thanks; and likewise we beseech thee our minds henceforth with thy word and spirit, so that we may perfectly serve thee and worthily magnify thy holy name. Amen.

The dinner was done and we all looked so nice, and because we don’t want to waste nice outfits, the only thing that would make sense would be to go out! Awkwardly, I was the first one in the Bistro, big shocker, I know! I order a cinder beer and after a few minutes, three nice boys came and sat down with me for a drink. We shared names and background information and before you knew it I had new friends, again. My girlfriends came down we called a cab. Most people went into town to go to the pubs, but we went clubbing.

Harlaxton has a flat rate with “street cars”, a taxi service that is wonderful to all the study abroad students. It is 6 pounds to go into town and 9 to come back past 11. The lady driving was so nice and told us where to go and what was a good time. We got there and order drinks. We met British boys and they helped us out all night! They even bought us a round of cookies and crème shots (which is awful, it taste like coffee!) We agree to leave Gravity and off to the Late Lounge we went. It happened to be right across the street. Harlaxton has a lot of pubs and clubs very close which is wonderful! It also was great to use MY ID! (Sorry mom!) After a night of drinking and party with our new friends it was time to go home! The boys made fun of us all night because of our different slang terms, but it was a great time! They even added me on facebook and in a fortnight we will be going out again! I’m trying to use the correct terms, I told them I would need help and they said as long as we teach them terms as well then they would do it! We said goodbye and took taxi home.

The whole night everyone made fun of my Chicago Accent. I didn’t even know it was noticeable, but everyone could tell! One person even said, “You’re from Chicago! That’s where Obama is from!” That made me laugh a little. Here’s something funny that happened, I got back to my room and my roommate was sleeping, her being the sweetheart that she is, she left the light on for me. I came in, changed into something to sleep in and went to turn off the light. Our light wouldn’t turn off! I knew I was drunk, but turning off a light is not hard! I left her a note explaining what happened. The next morning she went to turn on the light by the sink and the light that I tried turning off went off and we lost all power! We have to use our night lamps until it is fixed….awesome!

As you all know, I cannot sleep in. I guess the time change, the busy schedule, and the late night partying finally caught up to me, because I did not wake up until 11:15! I rolled out of bed in my pjs and EIU shirt and went down to the Refectory for brunch. Everyone was dressed up. I had bedhead. Looks like I will be sticking out like a sore thumb this semester because I DO NOT get ready for classes. I had slept thru breakfast, but it was nice to finally be caught up on sleep. My grandpa being the sweetheart he is gave me some money before the trip to make sure I would have a good time! I spent it all on books toady…good time? At least I will be learning. We took our ID pictures (I’m sure I will look WONDERFUL in mine) and had our last orientation! It was from 3-5 and after that we all went to eat! I once again made new friends and instead of fish and chips, which we had a few nights ago, we had chicken stake! I was excited because I ate half of my fish and chips, I mean I hated it all, but I ate half of it. The chicken was good and we had cookies and ice cream. After dinner I hung out in my room, trying to get ready for my classes tomorrow.

I haven’t even been here for more then three days and I already love it. Not everything is wonderful, there is so much change and it is slightly stressful, but that means I am growing as a person. The food isn’t always the best, but I try it all. I complain, and I have my friends cheer me on, but I do eat it. I will force myself to try new things and to grow as a person.

I miss my friends, my family, and my home. I miss my school, and all the familiar faces, but I love this. I love having to try new things. I love being forced to meet new people or not have friends. I miss my $26 plus tax flip phone that I always made fun of. I of course miss my MyTouch. I have a prepaid phone now for safety reasons, but I don’t even know my number or how to text people! I like that though, it’s hard not being able to call my friends just to say high or ask how their day was, but it is making me grow as a person. I hate it and love it at the same time. This school semester at Harlaxton is already changing me and helping me grow and I haven’t even started my classes yet. I honestly know this will be a hard semester, I wont have my normal classes, my normal teachers, I wont have the art friends who I have been able to rely on for the past two years, but I will gain so much more from this. I never want this is end, but I can’t wait to see who I am after this. 
Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment