Wednesday 5 December 2012

My last day in the Manor.




For the past three months, I have been living the dream. I have been living in a manor, waking up knowing that my best friends live in this beautiful place with me and traveling on the weekends. Today was the end of finals, which is something we have all looked forward too, but it is also the end of this trip. I leave for Italy in a few hours, but I already feel like I have been woken up from this amazing dream. Today all my friends left who where not going to Italy (which is most everyone). I figured I would tear up while saying goodbye to all of my friends, but I never thought I would ball my eyes out.

I honestly don’t know how to write about this experience, because words cannot explain what the past three months have meant to me. I decided to go to Harlaxton to get away. Eastern is a great school, but I knew there was more out there for me. I did not think that Harlaxton would change my life like it did. The friends I made here are not just “study abroad friends” in ten days when I’m home; these friends will still be there for me. No, I will not see them everyday and yes, it kills me to know that, but I am so excited to know that they will always be there for me.

Whither it was a long weekend in Paris, a day trip to York, or just a pizza and movie night at the manor there is nothing I regret. I came to Harlaxton to see the world, but I did not expect to become a new person from this. It’s going to be a long night, and a sleepless one, but spending the first 10 days of my winter break will be worth it. I honestly wish I could write more about this trip, but nothing I saw will ever explain what Harlaxton is. It’s not just a school or even a place I lived for close to four months, this place has become home. I can’t wait to go back to Chicago. I’m so excited to see my family and spend Christmas at home with my loved ones, but I will never forget the time I have been here.

When I walk out these doors tonight, it will be the hardest thing I do, but I can’t wait to see what else life has to offer me. In one month I will be in California doing another semester away, but this time as a National Student Exchange. Nothing I ever do with my life will ever compare to Harlaxton. I plan to travel the world, make changes, and help people. Harlaxton was the first step to that. I can’t wait for Italy, to have a worry free time, but my heart will always belong to Harlaxton.

No comments:

Post a Comment